Sunday, 24 October 2021

[20mm] Airborne Jeep with German & British Crew

As some of you may be aware, my good friend Curt of fame and I have a miniature exchange ongoing. Not sure for how long but by now a fair few figures have crossed the Atlantic either way to find residence on another continent. For this years figure I was at first at a loss as what to paint, when Curt made a fleeting remark about wanting to do a force for OP Market Garden at some point. And there it was my inspiration. 

Picture taken from

As not long before I had come across the above picture showing British Paratroopers taken into captivity by German soldiers, the driver is SS while the two others are from the Kriegsmarine, in a captured Jeep. There is a whole series of pictures out there showing the very same vehicle and it's occupants. I somehow felt the urgent need to re-create the picture and luckily enough AB Figures offere a few in their German and British ranges that, while not perfect, would do the job well enough.

I also decided to paint up a British Driver so that Curt could also use the Jeep together with his, as of yet non-existent, Paratroopers. Come on laddy, get yer finger out ;-)

Six figures and a vehicleadd another 39 points to my total for this year, so I'm currently at 959 points. Hopefully I manage to score a few more before this years Painting Challenge begins and thus I'll have to reset my score.

Sunday, 17 October 2021

[20mm] 3rd German Squad and some support

Again some time has passed by since my last post. And actuallyI got some more reinforcements for my Germans done. As before these are from the superb range of 20mm WW2 figures by AB Figures.

Saturday, 28 August 2021

[20mm] 2nd German Squad

Apologies my friends as I've been AWOL (again) for a while. Nothing too serious, but life has a habit of getting a little hectic at times. Also I have to admit I've simply not felt like taking pictures of my progress. It's so much easier taking a snap shot with your mobile phone and posting it to your social media of choice, than investing the time in setting up your 'proper' camera equipment. Make of that what you will, but I hope to get some more stuff posted again over the coming weeks. 

Thursday, 3 June 2021

[20mm] Soviet Armour

Continuing on with the WWII in 20mm theme I've finished some Soviet armour to provide a heavy punch against those dastardly invaders. I tried not to go overboard with the weathering and think I've more or less succeeded. Maybe a little more dust around the lower hulls would have enhanced the look even further, but even after all those years I'm still not comfortable with those weathering powders

Sunday, 18 April 2021

[20mm] More Soviet reinforcements & First German Squad

Following on from my last post today we have some more Soviets as well as the first Germans in 20mm. But let's start with the Soviets shall we? Again these are lovely sculpts from AB Figures

Friday, 26 March 2021

[20mm] Soviet ZIS-3 AT gun and medics

Well, usually I feel somewhat exhausted after the three months of AHPC but not this year apparently. I'm still on fire and chomping at the bit to crack on with my foray into the world of 20mm wargaming. Thus this the Vaccination Challenge mate Curt has currently declared over on the corresponding blog should be just the ticket to keep me focused. If you fancy a bit of good humoured banter and need some incentive to get the finger out in these troubled times, why not simply join in in the fun?

Sunday, 21 March 2021

Reinforcements for the 20mm Soviets project

So here we are, yet another challenge has drawn to an (untimely) close. As others I haven't painted nearly as much as I planned for but I definitely painted more than I had hoped for. With this final submission I will have a good few support selections for my 20mm Soviets in games of Chain of Command. A force I hadn't even planned to paint this year at all. Well laid plans and so on...

Sunday, 14 February 2021

WW2 Soviets in 20mm (Dohh!)

A new scale Hurrah! It's not like I've already got a good collection of 28mm and a somewhat smaller one of 15mm for WW2. No, I've had to branch out into 20mm as well it seems.

I actually blame this latest fools errant on friend Curt of Analogue Hobbies fame, who despite my strongest objections, didn't stop trying to lure me into the abyss. What kind of person must he be to do something like this to one of his weaker minded fellow men I ask you? Quite a devilish one, I tell you! 
Anyway, years later and quite a few bucks poorer, here I am with not only a readily playable force of 28mm Soviets for Chain of Command, but a fledgling one in 20mm as well. And all that while I actually don't really fancy gaming the Eastern Front.

Thursday, 4 February 2021

Wrapping up the Airborne project

Yet another submission to the AHPC:

I'm sure many of you know the feeling. In the one moment you're happily beavering away on a project when all of a sudden you feel it has run its course. For the moment at least. Now that's exactly what happened here. I got a few more British Airborne for Operation Market Garden done and that'll be it for now. I might get my acts together and add a few things to round out the opposing SS force... or I might not. We'll see.

Thursday, 28 January 2021

1940 BEF - Matilda II

Yet again another entry in the Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. At the moment I'm experiencing a rather uncommon quiet time at work meaning I find myself with more time at my hands to pursue the hobby.