14 March 2019

1940 BEF

Having just added to my Early War Germans I felt it was about time to add a little to their opponents. Some of you might remember earlier efforts of mine (has it really been 4 years again?)  on much the same figures. Believe it or not it took me the best part of a month to get these fellas done and dusted. I blame a rather busy schedule with me being away from home for the most part of that time.


It felt interesting to try to match the new paint jobs to the older ones and despite not using Army Painter anymore I think I've come reasonably close. Not that it'd matter on the table anyway but I'm a little OCD with such things it seems. Of course now I have to re-base all of my existing collection as well.






Not much else to be said about these figures other than that they're by Warlord Games and while a little on the chunky side they paint up rather nicely.

13 comments:

  1. These are glorious! Your painting skills have increased a lot over the years! I also like the chunkiness and the comicky style of these, I feel it is more fun to paint such miniatures! Very nice to see this eraly war project grow!
    Do you plan on doing French as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid finish, most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful painting and basing Nick, this and your other posts are a great inspiration for doing the early part of the war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful paint work,I am currently painting my own BEF and I am contently looking back at your earlier post on the BEF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Characterful and beautiful figures, well done...and nice bases as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superbly painting as always. I looked at some of the Warlord figures and they look nice, particularly with all of the extra bits - like the various head/helmet choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just fantastic Nick and I really do look forward to seeing them on the table!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work and between your painting and TFL CoC videos I feel myself being drawn into CoC.
    But before I open my wallet I was wondering how you find the Warlord WWII plastics compare with the Warlord metal figures.
    Thanks,
    Graham W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, depends on the set really. WG have become a rather mixed bunch. I quite like both the Blitzkrieg Germans and the Grenadier plastic sets despite their shortcomings, but most other plastics I find rather... underwhelming to be honest. The metals on the other hand... well, I haven’t bought any for a while for a reason. The newer sets (starting with the sculpts by Woyitek) are too cartoony, too exaggerated for my liking, while the older sets unfortunately often suffer from worn out moulds.
      That said there are still some gems in their catalogue... the Paul Hicks paras for example are pure gold, even when the clean up can be quite tedious.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the reply and honest assessment, appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Nick, I have started my Early war German COC forces sing your colour suggestions and they look excellent, in fact during these Covid times they actually made me happy as they look so good. Is there any chance you will be publishing your choice of colours for the BEF?
    Cheers,
    Graham W

    ReplyDelete