26 February 2017

La Legion


This years challenge has started quite slowly for me but at long last I'm finally able to squeeze in an adequately sized submission. Curt, ChrisS, PhilH and myself are running a Spanish Civil War side challenge and if I'm not completely mistaken this entry should put me in the lead... for the moment at least. As per our agreement it's a legally playable force for Bolt Action.


1st Command element
Truth be told I was rather hesitant to add yet another project to my already rather impressive collection of unfinished armies. But once I caved in and finally ordered the first figures there was no chance of stopping that train anymore. As soon as the order from Miniaturicum arrived I had to put brush to them. I almost couldn't even wait for the undercoat to fully dry, so eager I was. Small wonder with such lovely sculpted miniatures from Mr. Hicks.

2nd Command element - Standard bearer was submitted already

Support weapon - Light mortar
I went for a rather limited colour palette on these, but as I'm aiming more for the earlier period of the conflict and the Legion being considered an elite unit, I figured they'd probably be a little more uniform than other units in this conflict.

1st Squad

2nd Squad
According to Wikipedia there were five FT-17 tanks in service with the nationalist army at the outbreak of the war. I always had a soft spot for that rolling french tin box, so I couldn't resist the temptation to paint one up. The relevant Osprey states Spanish tanks of the period were dark grey but I preferred to give it a olive-green finish. In order to raise morale I painted the nationalist red-yellow-red colours around the turret and added the well known ¡Arriba Espana! slogan. Quite an eyecatcher I think.

'Heavy armour' - Renault FT-17 tank

16 comments:

  1. I just can say you made a great job as usual. Your fallshirmjäger army has inspired me a lot with mine.
    For this particular work, I'll dare to give you a little tip: just add the superior line in the Ñ letter of the ARRIBA ESPAÑA slogan ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, excellent! Thank you for the hint. My spanish is a little rusty ;-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sculpts with great paint jobs. /Mattias

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have been busy! They look excellent Nick and look forward to seeing them on the tabletop.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly! In my collection there are legionaries and FT, but your work out of competition too! These are the best Spanish legionaries whom I had to see

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! What a beautiful unit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are wonderfully done, I like the FT in particular. As for unfinishing projects, it's a pastime not a race after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful job, great details...I like especialy the 1st Command element and the FT...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the limited palette it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive brushwork! And those are definitely great looking miniatures! Paul Hicks is one of my favorite sculptors alongside the Perry Bros, gotta love his style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning work Nick! You completely humbugged me with this post. I don't think I'll be able to catch up. Now to find an appropriate figure for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, great job!!! y arriba España!!! jejeje

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations !!!!
    I add your blog on my website : http://figurineshist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete