24 July 2016

SAGA - Anglo-Danish Hearthguard

Not much of a progress on the painting front lately but at least I got another point of Hearthguard for my Anglo-Danish war band for SAGA done.


The figures are from Crusader Miniatures and albeit being rather static, were fun to paint. For the shields I used transfers from the ever trusty Little Big Men Studios.
Having recently read the latest installation in Bernhard Cornmwells highly enjoyable "Saxon Stories" series of novels I had to have a banner like Uhtreds.
As no-one of the usual suspects seems to have jumped on the band wagon and has produced a fitting transfer yet, I had to make my own.


Most designs of wolves heads on the web seem to be more inspired by House Stark from J.R.R. Martins "A song of ice and fire" series than by actual viking like design. So I used the only one I could find, shrank it to size and printed it out. I couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to mirror the image digitally so I had to hand paint it on the other side.
All in all I'm quite happy with how these fellas turned out, even when considering the amount of time wasted on the banner.


Next in line for my Anglo-Danish are two units of foot warriors. Not sure when I'll get to those though as the butterfly in me got the upper hand again and I'm already working on something completely different again.

Till next time!

22 comments:

  1. Some lovely brushwork and basing there, and very well-coordinated colour scheme to unify the group. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. I like the way you've tied all four together with the helmet colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to behold Nick, smashing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb painting there! Quite inspiring really! :o)
    Thanks for posting
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richtig richtig schön geworden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work Nick! You forgot to point these out to me at the game today as newly painted figures as I would have given them a closer inspection! Looking forward to your next units!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stuff as usual. Like what you did with the standard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work there! The banner turned out very nicely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful painting Nick and well worth the extra effort with the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant work on the banner and the figures. I especially like the colour on the striped trousers, it really brings these guys to life. Bravo!
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific stuff Nick! (and no time 'wasted' on that lovely banner)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific stuff Nick! (and no time 'wasted' on that lovely banner)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The details AND colours are just amazing work! Your colours are never never dull even when you paint greys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb brushwork and the banner...perfection! I would love to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete