06 February 2016

3rd AHPC VI submission: 'Let it rip' - Defensive Terrain Bonus Round entry

Meant to post this a lot earlier but work got in the way. Nonetheless the poll for your favourite interpretation of 'Defensive Terrain' is still open, so make sure you head over and leave your vote.


It was a close run thing but I finaly got something in to the bonus rounds. With a little more time at hand and a head full of ideas I enthusiastically dived head first into the preparations. At first I was planning to do a little WW1 diorama but, while having the right figures, lacked in the skill and patience to pull it off. Than, while rummaging through the attic, I stumbled across some old Warhammer 40k terrain which would have fit the bill and instantly set to work to pimp it up. When finished, but before painting, I actually realised that terrain isn't really the focus of the challenge and I'd need figures to go with it. Running short on time and not really feeling like spending crazy money on some Forge World Death Korps of Krieg miniatures (which I would have liked to use for the particular piece and am eyeing for some years now), it was now time to turn to plan C: the ever trusty and highly popular (at least with me) World War 2 plastics by Warlord Games.



The figures are from the newish plastic Fallschirmjäger set converted using cutting, gluing, offensive speech and some pieces of the older plastic sets. I can't actually put my finger on it, but the Fallschirmjäger set left me a little unimpressed. I'm not exactly sure on why that's the case, as except for the detail, which is a little soft, it's in no way worse than the last sets. Maybe it's me comparing them to the older metal figures which have waaay more character. That said I hated the bad casting quality on the metal figures.


Using crates and some other paraphernalia from the bitz box I created a suitably 'defensive' looking base to go with the figures. To add a little interest to the otherwise still quite bland stack of crates, I added a camo cover made from tissue paper. A trick I already used in one of the last challenges. In order to be able to remove casualties, the loader was magnetised.


This entry should give me 20 points (10 for the miniatures and another ten for the crew served weapon) for the Bavarian challenge and an aditional 50 points for my over all target.

18 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite entries in the challenge to date and certainly got a vote from me - absolutely superb brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb piece - the tissue paper cover is a great touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeoux as always, your bases are masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific work, sir. I know that the focus is on the terrain, but my eye settles on other things, like the spilnter camp on the MG gunner and the hand grenades and Mauser of the loader ready to use. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly set the scene Nick, a terrific little vignette. Lots of attention to detail and you have even painted the treads on the soles of their boots and nails in the crates. 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your use of colours is simply superb. Any mix of hues you use always blend well together and end up being more than the sum of their parts. In other words, they all come together to look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking painting as usual Nick!! Really need to see this up close!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome brushwork as always. I like the camo work, but the weathering of the canvas is also impressively done. Well deserved placing the Challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The oil-skin sheet thrown over the boxes is through the roof - I admit I have no clue how you manage to reach this level. BTW, is is pigment you're using around the bricks??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible painting! Well done :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice looking diorama! Your camo work is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete